Introduction to Data Storytelling: Narratives from Data (Live Stream)
In this data age, the ability to extract value from data is highly sought after by both individuals and organizations. While data analytics is often associated with hard skills such as database management, programming and statistics; hard skills alone are not enough. It requires the right mix of soft skills to contextualize the problem, make sense of the analysis and communicate it in a concise, coherent and compelling fashion to drive action.
This is one of a series of three one-day online workshops. Each workshop is modular in nature, addressing different aspects along the analytics value chain.
- Data Analysis – focuses on the technical aspects of mining data for objective insights
- Data Visualization – focuses on presenting data inaccessible forms to get the right message across using data visualizations
- Data Storytelling – focuses on presenting analyses and proposals in a concise, coherent, and compelling fashion to facilitate decision-making
This workshop aims to provide a broad but practical overview of the entire analytics value chain; with a specific focus on building & telling a compelling story to an audience. Many great analyses fail to realize their potential by falling short in the “last mile” of value; more specifically, how to tell a concise, coherent, and compelling story from the data to drive decisions and actions. This workshop seeks to build these often-overlooked capabilities in the “last mile” of value in analytics; which include, how to glean pivotal messages from data, how to structure and tell a data story that makes the audience care. This workshop aims to address such capability gaps; especially for professionals and managers who have some experience with analysis, but are finding some challenges in making an impact in the “last mile” of value in analytics.
By the end of this course, the participants would be able to：
- Understand what data analytics is, and the key ingredients for sustainable analytics
- Understand the analytics value and the part that effective communications with data plays in delivering the “last mile” of value
- Understand the key principles behind developing and telling a concise, coherent, and compelling story from the data
- Gain practical data storyboarding skills through a structured approach in the application through a case exercise
- Translate the data storyboard in the case exercise into a presentation deck that tells a concise, coherent, and compelling story
This workshop is designed for managers, professionals and staff at all levels who want to learn how to make a bigger impact with their analysis and data storytelling. The course is suitable for participants across all industries and job functions.
Participants are required to have basic MS Excel and Powerpoint skills; some prior knowledge of data analytics would be helpful.
MS Excel (ver 2010 or later) is required.
1. What is Data Analytics?
- A general introduction of the concept of analytics; including the general applications and the potential of analytics to inform, explain and guide decision making
- Case studies – See how some notable organizations have successfully deployed analytics to great effect (Walmart, Target, Google etc.)
- Foundations for sustainable analytics – understand what it takes to build analytics capabilities
2. The Analytics Value Chain and the role of Data Visualization and Communication
- The analytics value chain
- It takes more than just data to deliver value in analytics; it takes the right combination of hard and soft data skills; particularly the soft skills in interpreting the analytical outcomes in the right context
3. Principles of Storytelling with data
- Finding the conclusions and key messages from analysis
- Leveraging frameworks to structure the story into a storyboard
- Finding the right balance to tell a concise, coherent and compelling story
- How to make the audience care and achieve the intended objectives
4. Structure of a good Data Storyboard: Telling a Persuasive Story
- Opening Act (Emotional)
- Main Act (Analytical)
- Concluding Act (Finish with a Dagger)
5. Class Exercise: Building a Story board using a Case Study based on given charts and analysis
6. Class Exercise: Translating the Story board into a a concise, coherent and compelling story using MS PowerPoint
Data Expert: Michael Lee
Michael Lee is an associate of FYT Consulting Pte Ltd. An IT professional by training with more than 25 years of consulting & practical experience across many functions (sales, client management, business operations & customer service) throughout various roles (Vendor, Systems Integrator, Distributor and Enduser) in both the public & private sector.
Prior to joining FYT Consulting, Michael has done consultancy and process re-engineering for several SMEs. He has also conducted numerous training sessions on Virtual Teaming for international banks and corporations. In addition, he has made many speaking engagements in Customer & Partner events, as well as in major international Sales Conferences.
Michael has managed the Asia Pacific Sales Operations for Linksys, a division of Cisco Systems. His portfolio included the day-to-day operations within the Asia Pacific. He was also running the China sales for almost a year. Prior to that, Michael led the Asia Pacific Sales Operations for Cisco System and the Business Operations for Customer Service in Asia Pacific & Japan in Cisco. In addition, he headed a global Metrics & Business Intelligence team comprising members from the Asia Pacific, Europe and the Americas. Before joining Cisco, Michael worked for Peoplesoft, AT&T GIS, SAP and National Computer Systems (SCO). Michael holds a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science & Mathematics as well as an MBA from the National University of Singapore
Data Expert: Derrick Yuen
Derrick is the co-founder and principal for FYT Consulting with extensive experience in analytics and consulting with top management consulting firms, multinational corporations and government agencies. Prior to establishing FYT Consulting, he was responsible for co-leading the formation and establishment of the People Analytics Centre of Excellence (COE) for a multinational healthcare company with US$ 30 billion in revenue. Derrick also has extensive experience in corporate strategy and process improvement having led such functions in large multinational corporates in the FMCG and aviation sectors.
Derrick is an associate trainer with the Civil Service College, PSA Academy, HR Academy and Management Development Institute of Singapore where he develops and delivers data analytics, decision-making and analytics culture programs. He also develops and delivers customized analytics workshops and programmes for many organizations across the region spanning multiple sectors and functions; including maritime, aviation, FMCG, F&B and education to name a few. Derrick holds a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from the National University of Singapore as well as an MBA from the University of Southern California.
“This workshop has a lot of case studies used which is helpful to understand the pitfalls of misinterpretation of data & usefulness of data analysis to problem solving. A good trainer, very clear in delivering concepts and very experienced. Overall this workshop is useful. Perfect & good communicator”
“Overall it met my objective of this course. A good trainer, very clear in delivering concepts and very experienced. This workshop is useful. Perfect & good communicator.”
Tripartite Alliance Limited
“Good knowledge on data analysis. Understand regression model and use it to gain insights. Overall the trainer is knowledgeable and engaging. A good trainer, very clear in delivering concepts and very experienced.”
Government Technology Agency