Introduction to Data Analysis: Mining Data For Insights (Live Stream)
Data has the potential to provide a lot of value to organisations. With data analytics, you can access valuable insights and make informed decisions to improve your organisation’s performance and processes. In recent years, the importance of data analytics in the business world has increased, making it critical for organisations and employees to upskill with data analytics capabilities.
However, despite its popularity, many organisations still find it challenging to get data analytics off the ground and on the right track. This is mainly due to a combination of technical and cultural factors. While many organisations hire specialists and consultant to jump-start their analytics journey or work in specific analytics projects, the potential of data analytics can only be sustained if the organisation is able to build data analytics capabilities and culture throughout the organisation.
This 1-day data analysis course aims to provide a broad but practical overview of the entire analytics value chain, with a specific focus on the methods required to glean objective insights from data. You will explore the analytical process, including an overview of statistical concepts and relevant analytical tools. Using Microsoft Excel, you will be participating in hands-on exercises and gain practical data analysis skills. This workshop is designed for professionals with analytics responsibilities who want to go beyond descriptive analysis and learn inferential analytics and predictive analytics.
Be A Certified Data Analyst
This is ONE of the FOUR virtual workshops that transform you to be a Certified Data Analyst. Each workshop is modular in nature, addressing different aspects along the analytics value chain.
- Data Management and Data Reporting – focuses on processing and managing data to deliver insights
- Data Analysis – focuses on the technical aspects of mining data for objective insights
- Data Visualisation – focuses on presenting data inaccessible forms to get the right message across using data visualisations
- Data Storytelling – focuses on presenting analyses and proposals in a concise, coherent, and compelling fashion to facilitate decision-making
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of data analytics
- Learn how to translate data to insights using the six-step approach to conducting analytics
- Develop a practical understanding of key statistical concepts relevant to analytics
- Learn how to leverage descriptive analysis and inferential analysis
- Gain hands-on experience in data analysis skills via a facilitated capstone exercise
- Appreciate the capabilities and limitations to data analytics and how it should be used to support decision-making
This course is for professionals and individuals with an interest to learn and improve their understanding and skills in data analytics. This course is suitable for beginner-level participants across all industries and job functions.
Participants are required to bring a laptop with:
- Internet/wifi connectivity
- Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint (version 2010 or later)
Module 1: What is analytics and what it takes to create a sustainable value chain?
This module seeks to define what analytics is and isn’t, why it matters in today world and what it takes to build sustainable value. You will also be introduced to the analytics value chain.
Module 2: Translating data to insights and insights into decisions
This module provides an overview of the six-step approach to conducting analytics. You will see how the analytics process really works and seeks to dispel several myths about the process.
Module 3: Descriptive statistics – Understanding your data
You will be introduced to relevant foundational statistics concepts and learn how it could be used in HR settings. This is mostly a hands-on session with multiple computer-aided exercises on a wide range of organisational issues.
- Data types, data errors, blanks, and their various implications
- Describing data – Central tendency & variation
- Interacting with Data using Pivot Tables
Module 4: Inferential analysis – Establishing relationships among variables
You will be introduced to more complex statistics concepts and applications; to estimate unknown values with limited data and to “infer” relationships between variables. This is largely a hands-on session with multiple computer-aided exercises on a wide range of applications.
- Key statistical concepts
- Sampling & Probability
- Hypothesis Testing
- Inferential analysis (with MS Excel)
- T-Test: Comparison between two groups
- Chi-square test: Analyse the relationship between two non-numerical variables
- Correlation analysis: Analyse the relationship between two numerical variables
- Multiple regression analysis: Analyse and determine significant variables for multifactor problems
- Class exercise: Multiple data analysis exercises with MS Excel
Module 5: Appreciating the limitations of analytics
While Analytics provide objective insights, that is not always the case and, in some cases, it is simply misinterpreted. The key is to be aware of the limitations, such as
- Cognitive Bias
- Correlation vs Causation
- Simpson’s paradox
- Is 95% confidence good enough?
Data Analytics Master Trainer: Michael Lee
Michael Lee is the Principal Consultant and Trainer at FYT Consulting, where he helps businesses grow and succeed by building their data analytics capabilities. An IT professional by training, he brings with him more than 25 years of consulting and practical experience across various functions such as sales, client management, business operations, and customer service.
Prior to joining FYT, Michael led the Asia Pacific Sales Operations and the Business Operations for Customer Service at Cisco. He has also conducted numerous training programs on data analytics, data visualisation, data storytelling, and virtual team management for local and international enterprises. In addition, he was invited to speaking engagements in partner events, as well as in major international sales conferences.
Michael holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science and Mathematics and an MBA from the National University of Singapore.
Data Analytics Expert: Joanna Tan
An accomplished Senior HR Business Partner with more than 25 years of diverse industry experience, Joanna has worked with reputable multinational and local corporations such as Sage Software, Hasbro, Apple, IBM, Rockwell Automation, and Wing Tai Holdings. She has a strong background in talent development and management, leadership development, organisational design, strategic change management as well as employee relations and engagement.
Joanna is currently an Associate Consultant and Trainer with FYT Consulting. She helps FYT clients build HR analytics capabilities and has worked with clients from various backgrounds such as technology, government, pharmaceutical, finance, and more.
Joanna holds a Bachelor’s Degree from the National University of Singapore and a Graduate Diploma in Business Administration from the Singapore Institute of Management. She is also an Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (ACTA) Certified Trainer and has delivered numerous training programs in topics relating to personal and team development as well as management, data analytics, and leadership skills development.
“Michael is very clear in his explanation and guides us very well. His materials are interesting and he uses real-life problems to bring the context in.”
– Leong Mok Kam, Rosyth School
“Joanne is knowledgable and able to answer any queries throughout the session and she is friendly and approachable. I would recommend this course to friends and colleagues as data mining is an important and relevant issue in any decision-making thing in companies nowadays.”
– Alain Tan Tong Shen, Singapore Police Force
“Mike is very experienced, and the entire course is very interactive. Mike also putting great effort to ensure the team is engaged. Recommended trainer as the entire course is not bored, useful material and there is video in between to refresh the mind.”
– Lo Siew Khim, Advanced Micro Devices
“Michael is very engaging and takes the effort to solicit responses from all participants. He also makes the effort to take note of each participant’s progress through the course to ensure that all can follow. This course is useful for ministry executives who are new to data analytics.”
– Esther Chan, Ministry of Social and Family Development
“Michael is very clear in his teaching and is very patient! This is the first IT-related course I have attended where I did not feel like the instructor was impatient with people who may be slower in their progress.”
– Nicole Hilary Teo, National Heritage Board
“Mr Michael Lee is very knowledgeable on the topic. The experience was beyond my expectation. I expected a lecture, but it was an interactive two-way approach with hands-on practice & exercises. There are many good takeaways from the session.”
– Nur Zalifa Andeera Binte Fadzillah, MyLustre Pte Ltd