Understanding, Combating and Countering Fake News, Disinformation and Online Falsehoods
The Truth Matters: A Step by Step Guide on How to Separate Facts from Lies and How to Stop Fake News In general, fake news refers to the spreading of false information based on non-existent or distorted data which is meant to deceive and manipulate the reader, on digital online platforms or in the traditional media. Fake news is not a new phenomenon. However, its sheer scale, amplification through social media, and targeted use requires immediate and dedicated approach towards combating and countering fake news.
A 1 Day Workshop | Step by Step Guide on How to Combat and Counter Fake News
You will learn the step by step guide on how to identify, counter and manage fake news and misinformation in this 1 Day workshop.
- Identify fake news and its impact on Singapore’s security and society cohesion;
- Explain the psychology behind fake news, and explore applications to policy-making and government communication to combat it
- Compare and contrast best practices and strategies to detect and combat organised disinformation campaigns;
- Examine the media’s responsibility in tackling fake news, and explore partnership opportunities between government and media;
- Discuss approaches to strengthen media literacy and build domestic resilience; and
- Relate knowledge and perspectives of different public agencies to develop your agency’s own strategy against fake news.
Who should attend?
This workshop is highly recommended for Senior officers of government agencies, communication officers from MNCs, SMEs
PR, media, communication, marketing executives and managers will also benefit from this workshop
- What is fake news
- Citizen journalism and pressure points for fake news for SMEs – and everyone else
- Social media marketing and the increasing proliferation of fake news
- The impact of fake news on strategic communication investment
- The future of brand management and fake news
- Plugging the holes for fake news in your media strategy
- Developing a process of scanning the landscape
- Develop a rapid response capability – a robust message house
Trainer Profile: Ng Wei Joo
Ng Wei Joo is the general manager of financial communications agency Waterbrooks Consultants Pte. Ltd., where he oversees the communication strategies of listed companies, supported by colleagues who specialize in investor relations and public relations. In his current role, he guides CEOs and senior executives to drive business goals with communication. As a corporate communication specialist, he is a master storyteller, strategizing, crafting and managing the narrative through every stage of the communication process, regardless of the platform or channel. He is grateful for business leaders who value his advice and who appreciate how good PR adds to the bottom line. He was also a former president of the Institute of Public Relations of Singapore.