6 Simple Steps in Handling Tough & Demanding Customers Over the Phone
Dealing with angry customers is the most unpleasant part of customer service. It takes the all the joy out of the job for most people. It makes them forget all they know about how important customers are for their business and it becomes a cause of ongoing frustration. These challenges are commonly faced not just by the front-line staff but also managers or team leaders who are required to manage the escalated complaints from customers. How do we deal with difficult customers who demand an immediate answer and simply refuse to hang up? Ignore them and run the risk of it exploding, but yet, we can’t simply give in to every single demand of the customers.
Why let someone else’s bad attitude ruin your day?
So what can we do? Let Communication Coach Ms Caroline Dawson arms you with all the tools and tactics you need to handle all kinds of difficult customers – to make your life less stressful and a great deal easier. In this 1-day workshop, you will learn the skills to handle all telephone calls effectively and professionally
- Understand what makes difficult people tick and how best to handle them
- How to handle demanding customers that are sapping your time and energy into satisfied customers
- Essential techniques to maintain your professionalism in handling difficult conversation over the phone
- How to turn their negative feedback and complaints into new opportunities
- Different tips to deal with different types of difficult customers – hostile, manipulative and the impossible
- Develop smart tactics to calmly navigate emotionally-charged situations & pacify these “Problem Child”
Upon completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Appreciate how telephone etiquette contributes to a positive image for the company;
- Analyze the job needs to be fulfilled at each stage of a telephone conversation;
- Manage your own negative feelings when dealing with difficult customer
- Enhance your customer services and differentiate yourself from your competition
- Techniques to keep cool, feel great, be positive and in control
- Focusing on Outcome-First to change their attitude and improve their telephone skills;
- Practice opening a phone conversation effectively and closing with a positive impression;
- Use active listening and pinpointing techniques to understand the needs of the other party in a phone conversation;
- Have a standard format for consistency and professionalism over the phone;
- Derive guidelines for handling phone conversations where the other party is angry, passive, talkative or demanding.
Who Should Attend?
- This course is ideal for everyone who has frequent telephone contact with internal and external customers.
- It is highly applicable to receptionist, secretaries or customer support staff and Service practitioners who have to provide customer service and manage customers’ expectations in various difficult customer-situations.
- Senior Managers, HOD and team leaders will also learn to communicate effectively with customers on the telephone to manage any difficult or demanding conversation.
“Ms Caroline is a fun person and she makes us feel comfortable. The course helps in dealing with challenging customers that we receive over the phone.” Rini, Guest Relations Officer at Sentosa Development Corporation
“Very effective trainer. I have read and learnt about DISC throughout my life since 12 years old but never have I learnt how this will impact the way I communicate. Today I learnt something about my personality from DISC thru the examples of how we buy things. The “3 Greeks” is a great takeaway for today’s class.” Sally, Executive at Ministry of Law
“Role plays and lots of examples help us to understand the subject better. The templates and tips for dealing with difficult telephone calls are useful.” Susie, Personal Assistant to Director at MOM
“The context and examples given by Caroline are very useful for our daily work. She has also provided very comprehensive notes. Her many stories that relate to her personal experience are extremely memorable and practical. I am happy to attend her courses.” – Serene Koo, Senior Executive for Marketing Communications, The Chiropractic Association Singapore
“I have been to a lot of management courses and this is, by far, the most effective. During the course of the day, I’ve applied Caroline’s concepts and teachings to my current projects — projects that will be much better handled because of today’s workshop.” – Lydia Chiam, Assistant Manager for Office Administration, Public Service Division
“I love the combination of different training methodologies that Caroline uses. She is credible because she knows what works and what doesn’t, and has many good ideas for problems we all face at work. Caroline is not only at an excellent motivator – she is at the top of her game in recognizing how to get the most out of time and to think logically.” – Pooja Sindha, Senior Policy Manager, National University of Singapore
Master Trainer and Management Consultant for Learning and Development: Caroline Dawson
Caroline Josephine Dawson has more than 18 years of invaluable experience as an Editor of lifestyle and technical publications and 15 years teaching business management, environmental and soft-skills communication.
As a former journalist, Caroline’s professional work experience as a Corporate Trainer/Facilitator, Keynote Speaker and Learning & Development Consultant; has required her to market the value of her programs and persuade clients to value and understand the urgency of good communication and management skills in the work force. As an ACTA certified WSQ trainer, She has also worked with the Workforce Development Agency of Singapore to develop training content for the Employability Skills System where she successfully attained industry approved competencies in conducting, planning and designing competency based assessments for communication workshops.
Her many opportunities in working with the public and private sectors around the world has enhanced her training experience. Participants of her training workshops attest to her motivational, instructional and highly experiential training methodology that have helped them in their workplace business management. Caroline has trained operational, supervisory and managerial staff from various organisations.
She holds a Master of Arts in Mass Communication from NTU (Singapore) and has attained the Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) certification through the London Teacher Training College and also teaches English as a foreign language. Caroline is also an MBTI®, DISC Accredited Administrator, Enneagram and Lumina Spark/Emotion practitioner and she has administered the tools to top level managers and supervisors on managing their leadership styles and team members. She is currently pursuing her doctorate studies in Business Administration through a Paris-based business school.
- Elements of telephone etiquette;
- Understanding the formula for customer service;
- The strengths and weaknesses of your voice;
- Projecting a professional image;
- Barriers to phone communication;
- Powerful telephone techniques and strategies;
- An outcome-first attitude; Standard format for consistency and professionalism.
- Opening the tele-conversation effectively;
- Active listening and pinpointing;
- Message taking and documentation and logging of calls;
- Call prioritization and escalation skills;
- Techniques for negotiating objections and resistance;
- Closing the tele-conversation effectively;
- Handling difficult people tactfully over the phone.