Data Visualisation Using Tableau For Beginners
In today’s data-driven world, the ability to extract value from data is highly sought after by both individuals and organisations. It takes hard technical skills to manage the large datasets and extract insights from the data, but it comes to naught unless the insights can be clearly and quickly communicated to the intended audience.
Tableau is one of the leading and fastest-growing data visualisation tools used in the business intelligence industry today. It was created for the purposes of helping people see, understand, and make decisions with data. In other words, it simply converts raw data into a very easily understandable format and the great thing about Tableau is that it doesn’t require any technical or programming skills to operate which is why it’s perfect for beginners.
This tableau course aims to provide you with a broad but practical overview of the entire analytics value chain; with a focus on using data visualisation to convey intended messages from the data to an audience. You will learn the fundamentals of visualisation and get your hands “dirty” building different visualisations using Tableau (cited in Gartner’s magic quadrant as one of the top platforms for business intelligence in 2019). This is targeted at professionals and managers in non-analyst roles but may be required to work with or make sense of data and presenting data in their work.
- Gain an overview of the data analytics landscape
- Understand the key principles and elements of building an impactful data visualisation
- Understand the basics of Tableau and how to navigate it
- Gain practical experience in creating key features of Tableau functionality (charts, maps, etc.)
- Learn the fundamentals of dashboard designing
- Develop an interactive dashboard on Tableau and learn to gain insights from it
This course is for professionals and individuals with an interest to learn and improve their understanding and skills in data analytics, particularly in visualising and presenting data. This course is suitable for beginner-level participants across all industries and job functions.
Participants are required to bring a laptop with:
- Tableau Desktop or Tableau Public preinstalled (an installation guide will be sent prior to the course date)
- Internet/wifi connectivity
- Data Analytics: An Overview
- What is Analytics?
- Data Analytics Value Chain
- 6-Steps Framework
- Data Visualisation in Action
- A Famous Visualisation History
- Selecting the Right Chart
- What are the steps to build a good chart?
- Introduction to Tableau
- Preparing and Loading Data
- Relationship vs Joining Tables
- Interacting with Data
- Tableau Charts
- A step-by-step approach to building charts, histograms, tree maps, time lines, maps and animation
- Hands-on exercises on Tableau
- Self Service Analytics using Dashboards
- Designing Dashboard Fundamentals
- Class Exercise: Building interactive dashboards on Tableau
- Class Exercise: Gaining Insights from the dashboard
- Learning from Tableau Public
Data Analytics Master Trainer: Michael Lee
Michael Lee is the Principal Consultant and Trainer at FYT Consulting, where he helps businesses grow and succeed by building their data analytics capabilities. An IT professional by training, he brings with him more than 25 years of consulting and practical experience across various functions such as sales, client management, business operations, and customer service.
Prior to joining FYT, Michael led the Asia Pacific Sales Operations and the Business Operations for Customer Service at Cisco. He has also conducted numerous training programs on data analytics, data visualisation, data storytelling, and virtual team management for local and international enterprises. In addition, he was invited to speaking engagements in partner events, as well as in major international sales conferences.
Michael holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science and Mathematics and an MBA from the National University of Singapore.
Data Analytics Expert: Joanna Tan
An accomplished Senior HR Business Partner with more than 25 years of diverse industry experience, Joanna has worked with reputable multinational and local corporations such as Sage Software, Hasbro, Apple, IBM, Rockwell Automation, and Wing Tai Holdings. She has a strong background in talent development and management, leadership development, organisational design, strategic change management as well as employee relations and engagement.
Joanna is currently an Associate Consultant and Trainer with FYT Consulting. She helps FYT clients build HR analytics capabilities and has worked with clients from various backgrounds such as technology, government, pharmaceutical, finance, and more.
Joanna holds a Bachelor’s Degree from the National University of Singapore and a Graduate Diploma in Business Administration from the Singapore Institute of Management. She is also an Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (ACTA) Certified Trainer and has delivered numerous training programs in topics relating to personal and team development as well as management, data analytics, and leadership skills development.
“Highly recommend trainer Michael Lee, he has made the session very interesting and encouraged a lot of participation from the participants. This course is highly recommended. Very useful for people who are doing statistics, operations.”
– Wu Ruey-Lin, JTC Corporation
“The trainer is patient and knowledgeable. He is able to explain the concepts quite well. I will recommend to my colleagues as an introduction to Tableau since we handle many datasets at work and the programme would be able to help enhance the presentation of the data.”
– Sharon Sim, Ministry of Health
“Michael was very patient throughout the whole session. He is always looking at the time to ensure things don’t overrun and making sure we all understand the whole topic. For people who are working that require to do data analyse, i would definitely recommend! It would definitely benefit them.”
– Joanne Phui Qiu Yue, Outward Bound Singapore
“Michael was very patient and addressed all our queries along the way to ensure that everyone is on the same page. Yes, I would recommend the course. With data becoming increasingly important, tableau will help with visualising our data better.”
– Eunice Liau, Workforce Singapore