Introduction to Data Visualisation & Storytelling
As awareness of data analytics, data storytelling and data visualisation grew over the last decade, it is now considered a core capability in many organisations today. As such, many individuals and organisations have invested heavily in building such capabilities.
However, many continue to struggle to realise sustainable value from analytics. Part of the reason why many organisations fall short lies in the “last mile” of realising value from analytics – more specifically, how to glean pivotal messages from data, how to make large & complex data sets accessible and how to structure and tell a story from the data that makes the audience care.
This course aims to address such capability gaps especially for professionals and managers who have some experience with analysis but are finding some challenges in making an impact in the “last mile” of value in analytics. This course is specifically designed to round up the final pieces in the analytics value chain to help organisations achieve sustainable value in analytics.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand what data analytics is and the key ingredients for sustainable analytics
- Understand the analytics value and the part that effective communications with data plays in delivering the “last mile” of value
- Appreciate the thought process as well as key technical and visual considerations to designing effective data visualisations
- Appreciate the thought process as well as key technical and visual considerations to assembling data visualisations into coherent and impact dashboards
- Understand the key principles behind developing and telling a concise, coherent and compelling story from the data
- Gain exposure to various data visualisation techniques and tools
- Gain practical data visualisation and dashboarding skills through exercises with Microsoft Excel
This course is designed for professionals and individuals from all levels, industries, and job functions with an interest to make a bigger impact with their analysis.
Participants are required to have basic Microsoft Excel and computer skills. Some prior knowledge of analytics would be helpful.
Participants are required to bring a laptop with Microsoft Excel (version 2010 or later).
What is Data Analytics?
- A general introduction of the concept of analytics, including the general applications and the potential of analytics to inform, explain and guide decision making
- Case studies – See how some notable organisations have successfully deployed analytics to great effect (Walmart, Target, Google etc.)
- Foundations for sustainable analytics – understand what it takes to build analytics capabilities
The Analytics Value Chain and role of Data Visualisation and Communication
- The analytics value chain
- The right combination of hard and soft data skills
- The soft skills in interpreting the analytical outcomes in the right context, to prioritise the many findings and to tell a concise, coherent and compelling story
- Key components of effective data storytelling
- Case study – Florence Nightingale vs Gregor Mendel
Conveying the message through Data Visualisation
- Key principles in data visualisation
- Thought process in selecting the right visualisation for the intended message
- Finding the right message
- The require comparison to convey the message
- Selecting the right visualisation
- Other visual cues at your disposal
- Color, Text, Size, Area, Shapes etc.
- Hands-on exercises on MS Excel
Self Service Analytics using Dashboards
- What is a dashboard? Why deploy a dashboard?
- Dashboards are simply a collection of related visualisations to support self-service analytics. Just as there are too many powerpoint files, reports and databases; dashboards can also fall into the same traps. But when do you deploy dashboards and how do you measure success?
- Dashboard design
- Key design requirements – Purpose, Development, Delivery and Evolution
- Purpose – Why is the dashboard supposed to accomplish? Who is the dashboard intended to help and how?
- Development – Data sources, frequency of update, data quality, distribution method, technology platform etc.
- Delivery – How will users gain access to the platform? Is access exclusive? Are there data concerns? Training and technical support?
- Evolution – Measuring and ensuring success, evolving with maturing organisational needs
- Class Exercise: Building interactive dashboards on MS Excel Analysis
- Exposure to other data visualisation tools in the market
- People hear statistics and data but feel stories
- Good data story telling appeals to both the emotional and logical mind and allows audiences to make OBJECTIVE decisions about topics they CARE about
- Principles of Storytelling with data • Finding the conclusions and key messages from analysis
- Leveraging frameworks to structure the story into a storyboard
- Finding the right balance to tell a concise, coherent and compelling story
- How to make the audience care and achieve the intended objectives
Bringing all together: Capstone Business Case Exercise
- The participants will work on a capstone business case exercise with the concepts and techniques they have acquired in this course
- The final presentation, which should include the following: Finding the key messages form the dashboards (build in previous exercises), structuring the messages into a concise, coherent and compelling story, identifying the visualisations to convey the story, telling the story to make the audience care and act
- Group presentation & discussion
Data Expert: Michael Lee
Michael Lee is an associate of FYT Consulting Pte Ltd. An IT professional by training with more than 25 years of consulting & practical experience across many functions (sales, client management, business operations & customer service) throughout various roles (Vendor, Systems Integrator, Distributor and Enduser) in both the public & private sector.
Prior to joining FYT Consulting, Michael has done consultancy and process re-engineering for several SMEs. He has also conducted numerous training sessions on Virtual Teaming for international banks and corporations. In addition, he has made many speaking engagements in Customer & Partner events, as well as in major international Sales Conferences.
Michael has managed the Asia Pacific Sales Operations for Linksys, a division of Cisco Systems. His portfolio included the day-to-day operations within the Asia Pacific. He was also running the China sales for almost a year. Prior to that, Michael led the Asia Pacific Sales Operations for Cisco System and the Business Operations for Customer Service in Asia Pacific & Japan in Cisco. In addition, he headed a global Metrics & Business Intelligence team comprising members from the Asia Pacific, Europe and the Americas. Before joining Cisco, Michael worked for Peoplesoft, AT&T GIS, SAP and National Computer Systems (SCO). Michael holds a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science & Mathematics as well as an MBA from the National University of Singapore
Data Expert: Derrick Yuen
Derrick is the co-founder and principal for FYT Consulting with extensive experience in analytics and consulting with top management consulting firms, multinational corporations and government agencies. Prior to establishing FYT Consulting, he was responsible for co-leading the formation and establishment of the People Analytics Centre of Excellence (COE) for a multinational healthcare company with US$ 30 billion in revenue. Derrick also has extensive experience in corporate strategy and process improvement having led such functions in large multinational corporates in the FMCG and aviation sectors.
Derrick is an associate trainer with the Civil Service College, PSA Academy, HR Academy and Management Development Institute of Singapore where he develops and delivers data analytics, decision-making and analytics culture programs. He also develops and delivers customized analytics workshops and programmes for many organizations across the region spanning multiple sectors and functions; including maritime, aviation, FMCG, F&B and education to name a few. Derrick holds a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from the National University of Singapore as well as an MBA from the University of Southern California.
“This workshop has a lot of case studies used which is helpful to understand the pitfalls of misinterpretation of data & usefulness of data analysis to problem solving. A good trainer, very clear in delivering concepts and very experienced. Overall this workshop is useful. Perfect & good communicator”
“Overall it met my objective of this course. A good trainer, very clear in delivering concepts and very experienced. This workshop is useful. Perfect & good communicator.”
Tripartite Alliance Limited
“Good knowledge on data analysis. Understand regression model and use it to gain insights. Overall the trainer is knowledgeable and engaging. A good trainer, very clear in delivering concepts and very experienced.”
Government Technology Agency
“Michael is knowledgeable and able to explain the concepts. I would recommend this course to my colleagues. This structure of storyboarding would greatly benefit my presentation to my colleagues. It enables the thought process to flow smoother when coming up with a story.”
Sandra Tan, Vice President, Technology, Singapore Exchange Limited