Introduction to Data Visualisation & Storytelling
With so much information being collected through data analysis, organisations must have a way to paint a picture of that data so that it can be interpreted easily. Data visualisation gives us a clear idea of what the information means by giving it visual context through maps or graphs. This makes the data more natural for the human mind to comprehend and therefore makes it easier to identify trends, patterns, and outliers within large data sets.
No matter what industry or sector you’re from, data visualisation can be applied to your data as it can help with identifying which areas need to be improved, which factors affect customer satisfaction and dissatisfaction, and what to do with specific products. As one of the essential steps in the business intelligence process, data visualisation takes the raw data, models it, and delivers the data so that conclusions can be reached.
This hands-on and practical data visualisation course aims to equip you with a comprehensive understanding of data visualisation and data storytelling. You will learn how to visualise your data, build dashboards, glean pivotal messages and insights from data, and structure your data to tell a concise, coherent and compelling story to engage your audience.
Be A Certified Data Analyst
- Gain an overview of the data analytics landscape and the key ingredients for sustainable analytics
- Learn the roles that data visualisation and communication play in the data analytics value chain
- Explore case studies and gain hands-on experience in building your own visualisations using Excel
- Learn the key principles in building data visualisations and storytelling with data
- Understand dashboard designing and its key design requirements
- Gain exposure to various data visualisation techniques and tools including Tableau and Power BI
- Gain practical data visualisation and dashboarding skills through exercises with Microsoft Excel
This course is for professionals and individuals with an interest to learn and improve their understanding and skills in data analytics, particularly in visualising and presenting data. This course is suitable for beginner-level participants across all industries and job functions.
Participants are required to bring a laptop with:
- Internet/wifi connectivity
- Microsoft Excel & PowerPoint (version 2010 or later)
Module 1: What is Data Analytics?
- A general introduction of the concept of analytics, including the general applications and the potential of analytics to inform, explain and guide decision making
- Case studies – see how some notable organisations have successfully deployed analytics to great effect (Walmart, Target, Google etc.)
- Foundations for sustainable analytics – understand what it takes to build analytics capabilities
Module 2: The Analytics Value Chain and Role of Data Visualisation and Communication
- The analytics value chain
- The right combination of hard and soft data skills
- The soft skills in interpreting the analytical outcomes in the right context, prioritise the many findings and telling a concise, coherent and compelling story
- Key components of effective data storytelling
- Case study – Florence Nightingale vs Gregor Mendel
Module 3: Conveying the Message Through Data Visualisation
- Key principles in data visualisation
- Thought process in selecting the right visualisation for the intended message
- The require comparison to convey the message
- Selecting the right visualisation
- Other visual cues at your disposal (Color, Text, Size, Area, Shapes etc.)
- Hands-on exercises on MS Excel
Module 4: Self Service Analytics using Dashboards
- What is a dashboard? Why deploy a dashboard?
- Dashboard design
- Key design requirements – Purpose, Development, Delivery and Evolution
- Purpose – Why is the dashboard supposed to accomplish? Who is the dashboard intended to help and how?
- Development – Data sources, frequency of update, data quality, distribution method, technology platform etc.
- Delivery – How will users gain access to the platform? Is access exclusive? Are there data concerns? Training and technical support?
- Evolution – Measuring and ensuring success, evolving with maturing organisational needs
- Class Exercise: Building interactive dashboards on MS Excel Analysis
- Exposure to other data visualisation tools in the market
Module 5: Data Storytelling
- People hear statistics and data but feel stories
- Good data storytelling appeals to both the emotional and logical mind and allows audiences to make objective decisions about topics they care about
- Principles of storytelling with data
- Finding the conclusions and key messages from the analysis
- Leveraging frameworks to structure the story into a storyboard
- Finding the right balance to tell a concise, coherent and compelling story
- How to make the audience care and achieve the intended objectives
Module 6: Bringing All Together with A Capstone Business Case Exercise
- The participants will work on a capstone business case exercise with the concepts and techniques they have acquired in this course
- The final presentation, which should include the following: Finding the key messages from the dashboards (built in previous exercises), structuring the messages into a concise, coherent and compelling story, identifying the visualisations to convey the story, telling the story to make the audience care and act
- Group presentation & discussion
Data Analytics Master Trainer: Michael Lee
Michael Lee is the Principal Consultant and Trainer at FYT Consulting, where he helps businesses grow and succeed by building their data analytics capabilities. An IT professional by training, he brings with him more than 25 years of consulting and practical experience across various functions such as sales, client management, business operations, and customer service.
Prior to joining FYT, Michael led the Asia Pacific Sales Operations and the Business Operations for Customer Service at Cisco. He has also conducted numerous training programs on data analytics, data visualisation, data storytelling, and virtual team management for local and international enterprises. In addition, he was invited to speaking engagements in partner events, as well as in major international sales conferences.
Michael holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science and Mathematics and an MBA from the National University of Singapore.
Data Analytics Expert: Joanna Tan
An accomplished Senior HR Business Partner with more than 25 years of diverse industry experience, Joanna has worked with reputable multinational and local corporations such as Sage Software, Hasbro, Apple, IBM, Rockwell Automation, and Wing Tai Holdings. She has a strong background in talent development and management, leadership development, organisational design, strategic change management as well as employee relations and engagement.
Joanna is currently an Associate Consultant and Trainer with FYT Consulting. She helps FYT clients build HR analytics capabilities and has worked with clients from various backgrounds such as technology, government, pharmaceutical, finance, and more.
Joanna holds a Bachelor’s Degree from the National University of Singapore and a Graduate Diploma in Business Administration from the Singapore Institute of Management. She is also an Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (ACTA) Certified Trainer and has delivered numerous training programs in topics relating to personal and team development as well as management, data analytics, and leadership skills development.
“Michael is a very knowledgeable trainer. He knows his stuff. He is very engaging. He does not only emphasize on theory but practical too which is very good. I would recommend this course. It made my brain working and a very engaging class.”
– Nur Haslindah Hassan, Elmos Semiconductor
“Trainer was very engaging and was able to keep a constant steady pace. We covered a lot of material, so again, he kept things moving and relevant. The course was informative and comprehensive.”
– Wilson Lee, Singapore American School
“Michael is knowledgeable and able to explain the concepts. I would recommend this course to my colleagues. This structure of storyboarding would greatly benefit my presentation to my colleagues. It enables the thought process to flow smoother when coming up with a story.”
– Sandra Tan, Singapore Exchange Limited
“Michael is very clear in his explanation and guides us very well. His materials are interesting and he uses real-life problems to bring the context in.”
– Leong Mok Kam, Rosyth School
“Mike is very experienced, and the entire course is very interactive. Mike also putting great effort to ensure the team is engaged. Recommended trainer as the entire course is not bored, useful material and there is video in between to refresh the mind.”
– Lo Siew Khim, Advanced Micro Devices
“Michael is very clear in his teaching and is very patient! This is the first IT-related course I have attended where I did not feel like the instructor was impatient with people who may be slower in their progress.”
– Nicole Hilary Teo, National Heritage Board
“Mr Michael Lee is very knowledgeable on the topic. The experience was beyond my expectation. I expected a lecture, but it was an interactive two-way approach with hands-on practice & exercises. There are many good takeaways from the session.”
– Nur Zalifa Andeera Binte Fadzillah, MyLustre Pte Ltd