Introduction to Data Analysis: Mining Insights From Data (Live Stream)
In this data age, the ability to extract value from data is highly sought after by both individuals and organizations. While data analytics is often associated with hard skills such as database management, programming and statistics; hard skills alone are not enough. It requires the right mix of soft skills to contextualize the problem, make sense of the analysis and communicate it in a concise, coherent and compelling fashion to drive action.
This is one of a series of three one-day online workshops. Each workshop is modular in nature, addressing different aspects along the analytics value chain.
- Data Analysis – focuses on the technical aspects of mining data for objective insights
- Data Visualization – focuses on presenting data inaccessible forms to get the right message across using data visualizations
- Data Storytelling – focuses on presenting analyses and proposals in a concise, coherent, and compelling fashion to facilitate decision-making
This workshop aims to provide a broad but practical overview of the entire analytics value chain, with a specific focus on data management and analysis. Attendees will get the opportunity to get their hands “dirty” with large data sets and experience what it takes to deliver objective insights.
By the end of this course, the participants would be able to：
- Understand what data analytics is and what it takes to deliver value
- Develop analysis frameworks through problem definition, hypotheses development and identification of data requirements
- Gain practical data analysis skills through descriptive and inferential analysis exercises with MS Excel
- Gain exposure to various analytical and visualization techniques and tools to glean insights from the data
This workshop is designed for managers, professionals and staff at all levels who want to learn and improve their understanding and skills in data analytics, particularly in applying analytics to problem-solving. The course is suitable for participants across all industries and job functions.
Participants are required to have basic MS Excel skills; some prior knowledge of data analytics would be helpful.
MS Excel (ver 2010 or later) is required.
1. Analytics in Action
- Case studies – See how some notable organizations have successfully deployed analytics to great effect
2. What is analytics?
- Defining what analytics is and isn’t; how and what it takes to create value
- An introduction to the Analytics Value Chain
- An overview of Big Data, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in the context of Analytics and today’s data-driven world
3. Translating Data into Insights
- Building an Analysis Framework
- A 6-step framework from problem to data, insights and decision
- Seeing the 6-step framework in Action – Oakland Athletics
- Group exercise: Building an Analysis Framework
- Analytics Techniques to Connect-the-Dots
- Exposure to Data Management concepts; such as system vs calculated fields, blank vs zero values, joining/blending data tables, data types and managing databases
4. Statistical Analysis Concepts for Business Users
- Introduction to descriptive statistics – Variation in All Data, central tendency and variability
- Going beyond descriptive to inferential analysis – including Central Limit Theorem, trends analysis, regression analysis, survival analysis etc.
- Class Exercise: MS Excel Analysis (pivot table, descriptive, correlation, multiple regression)
- Fallacies and Limitations of analytics – False positives, Correlation vs Causation etc.
Data Expert: Michael Lee
Michael Lee is an associate of FYT Consulting Pte Ltd. An IT professional by training with more than 25 years of consulting & practical experience across many functions (sales, client management, business operations & customer service) throughout various roles (Vendor, Systems Integrator, Distributor and Enduser) in both the public & private sector.
Prior to joining FYT Consulting, Michael has done consultancy and process re-engineering for several SMEs. He has also conducted numerous training sessions on Virtual Teaming for international banks and corporations. In addition, he has made many speaking engagements in Customer & Partner events, as well as in major international Sales Conferences.
Michael has managed the Asia Pacific Sales Operations for Linksys, a division of Cisco Systems. His portfolio included the day-to-day operations within the Asia Pacific. He was also running the China sales for almost a year. Prior to that, Michael led the Asia Pacific Sales Operations for Cisco System and the Business Operations for Customer Service in Asia Pacific & Japan in Cisco. In addition, he headed a global Metrics & Business Intelligence team comprising members from the Asia Pacific, Europe and the Americas. Before joining Cisco, Michael worked for Peoplesoft, AT&T GIS, SAP and National Computer Systems (SCO). Michael holds a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science & Mathematics as well as an MBA from the National University of Singapore
Data Expert: Derrick Yuen
Derrick is the co-founder and principal for FYT Consulting with extensive experience in analytics and consulting with top management consulting firms, multinational corporations and government agencies. Prior to establishing FYT Consulting, he was responsible for co-leading the formation and establishment of the People Analytics Centre of Excellence (COE) for a multinational healthcare company with US$ 30 billion in revenue. Derrick also has extensive experience in corporate strategy and process improvement having led such functions in large multinational corporates in the FMCG and aviation sectors.
Derrick is an associate trainer with the Civil Service College, PSA Academy, HR Academy and Management Development Institute of Singapore where he develops and delivers data analytics, decision-making and analytics culture programs. He also develops and delivers customized analytics workshops and programmes for many organizations across the region spanning multiple sectors and functions; including maritime, aviation, FMCG, F&B and education to name a few. Derrick holds a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from the National University of Singapore as well as an MBA from the University of Southern California.
“This workshop has a lot of case studies used which is helpful to understand the pitfalls of misinterpretation of data & usefulness of data analysis to problem solving. A good trainer, very clear in delivering concepts and very experienced. Overall this workshop is useful. Perfect & good communicator”
“Overall it met my objective of this course. A good trainer, very clear in delivering concepts and very experienced. This workshop is useful. Perfect & good communicator.”
Tripartite Alliance Limited
“Good knowledge on data analysis. Understand regression model and use it to gain insights. Overall the trainer is knowledgeable and engaging. A good trainer, very clear in delivering concepts and very experienced.”
Government Technology Agency