Problem Solving with Data Analytics
In recent years, this data analytics course has gained significant buy-in from senior management. However, many organisations find it challenging to get data analytics off the ground and on the right track. This is mainly due to a combination of technical, cultural, and capabilities factors. One of the key factors is the lack of analytics skills via a data analytics course among the employees.
While many organisations hire specialists to jump-start its analytics journey or work in specific analytics projects, the potential of data analytics can only be sustained if the organisation is able to build data analytics capabilities and culture throughout the organisation. This course aims to address such capability gaps especially among professionals and managers in non-analysts’ roles but are required to work with or make sense of data and analyses in their daily works.
By the end of the course, you will:
- Understand what data analytics is, and the different approached to data analytics for different problem-solving situations
- Develop analysis framework through problem definition, hypotheses development and identification of data requirement
- Understand the principles to building sustainable analytics culture in an organization
- Gain exposure to various data analytics and visualization techniques and tools
- Gain practical data analysis skills through descriptive and predictive analysis exercises with MS Excel
This course is designed for professionals and individuals with an interest to learn and improve their understanding and skills in data analytics, particularly in applying analytics to problem solving. This course is suitable for participants across all industries and job functions.
Participants are required to have basic Microsoft Excel and computer skills. No prior knowledge of data analytics is required.
Participants are required to bring a laptop with Microsoft Excel (version 2010 or later).
Understanding Data Analytics, Big Data & Artificial Intelligence
- A general introduction of the concept of analytics, including the general utilities and potential of analytics to inform, explain and guide decision making
- Introduction to Big Data and Artificial Intelligence; types & examples of machine learning
- Case studies – See how some notable organisations have successfully deployed analytics to great effect (Walmart, Target, Google, Jetblue)
Practicing and Sustaining Data Analytics at Work
- Data Analytics Value Chain & Components
- What does it take to progress along the maturity curve?
- Recipe for successful data analytics
- Case study – how analytics changed the game for Oakland Athletics in professional baseball
- Building Analytics Culture
- Leadership for analytics
- Data analytics competency framework
- Organisation design
- Data Analytics Maturity Model
- Class survey
- Group Exercise: Fill in the success recipe book
Translating Data into Insights
- Understand Your Problems
- Complexity theory and Cynefin Framework
- Group exercise: making sense of your problems
- Building an Analysis Framework
- 6-step framework from problem to data, insights and decision
- Group exercise: building an analysis framework
- Analytics techniques to connect-the-dots
Statistical Analysis Concepts for Business Users
- Common analysis techniques, including trends analysis, regression analysis, survival analysis etc.
- Class exercise: MS Excel analysis (pivot table, descriptive, correlation, multiple regression)
- Data visualisation and storytelling
- Principles of storytelling with data
- Data visualisation tools & techniques
- Demo of visualisation platforms
- Class exercise: build your own dashboard (MS Excel)
Bringing all together: Capstone Business Case Exercise
- The participants will work on a capstone business case exercise with the concepts and techniques they have acquired in this course
- The final presentation, which should include the following: problem statement, summary of findings (each supported by facts & analysis) and recommendations
- Group presentation & discussion
Data Expert: Joanna Tan
A seasoned leader in Human Resource Business Partnering with more than 25 years of diverse industry, Joanna has experience with reputable multinational and local corporations such as Sage Software, Hasbro, Apple, IBM, Rockwell Automation and Wing Tai Holdings. She has proven success in managing and rolling out major organization change initiatives involving various key stakeholders especially with the sales and marketing teams in driving revenue and margin optimization using business metrics and intelligence.
Joanna currently consults and leads engagements to help FYT clients build HR analytics capabilities across many sectors and regions, including technology, government, pharmaceutical, sales & finance across the Asia Pacific Region. She also has a strong background in talent management and development, organization design, change management as well as employee engagement. Joanna holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Arts with National University of Singapore and a Graduate Diploma in Business Administration with Singapore Institute of Management. In addition, she is accredited in Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (ACTA v5).
Data Expert: Michael Lee
Michael Lee is an associate of FYT Consulting Pte Ltd. An IT professional by training with more than 25 years of consulting & practical experience across many functions (sales, client management, business operations & customer service) throughout various roles (Vendor, Systems Integrator, Distributor and Enduser) in both the public & private sector.
Prior to joining FYT Consulting, Michael has done consultancy and process re-engineering for several SMEs. He has also conducted numerous training sessions on Virtual Teaming for international banks and corporations. In addition, he has made many speaking engagements in Customer & Partner events, as well as in major international Sales Conferences.
Michael has managed the Asia Pacific Sales Operations for Linksys, a division of Cisco Systems. His portfolio included the day-to-day operations within the Asia Pacific. He was also running the China sales for almost a year. Prior to that, Michael led the Asia Pacific Sales Operations for Cisco System and the Business Operations for Customer Service in Asia Pacific & Japan in Cisco. In addition, he headed a global Metrics & Business Intelligence team comprising members from the Asia Pacific, Europe and the Americas. Before joining Cisco, Michael worked for Peoplesoft, AT&T GIS, SAP and National Computer Systems (SCO). Michael holds a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science & Mathematics as well as an MBA from the National University of Singapore.
“This workshop has a lot of case studies used which is helpful to understand the pitfalls of misinterpretation of data & usefulness of data analysis to problem solving. A good trainer, very clear in delivering concepts and very experienced. Overall this workshop is useful. Perfect & good communicator”
“Michael is very clear in his explanation and guides us very well. His materials are interesting and he uses real life problems to bring the context in.”
Leong Mok Kam, Rosyth School
“Good knowledge on data analysis. Understand regression model and use it to gain insights. Overall the trainer is knowledgeable and engaging. A good trainer, very clear in delivering concepts and very experienced.”
Government Technology Agency