Introduction to Data Visualisation: Presenting Insights From Data (Live Stream)
In this data age, the ability to extract value from data is highly sought after by both individuals and organizations. While data analytics is often associated with hard skills such as database management, programming and statistics; hard skills alone are not enough. It requires the right mix of soft skills to contextualize the problem, make sense of the analysis and communicate it in a concise, coherent and compelling fashion to drive action.
This is one of a series of three one-day online workshops. Each workshop is modular in nature, addressing different aspects along the analytics value chain.
- Data Analysis – focuses on the technical aspects of mining data for objective insights
- Data Visualization – focuses on presenting data inaccessible forms to get the right message across using data visualizations
- Data Storytelling – focuses on presenting analyses and proposals in a concise, coherent, and compelling fashion to facilitate decision-making
This workshop aims to provide a broad but practical overview of the entire analytics value chain; with a specific focus on presenting data to convey the right message to an audience. Attendees will learn the fundamentals of visualisation and get their hands “dirty” building different visualizations with large data sets.
By the end of this course, the participants would be able to：
- Understand what data analytics is, and the key ingredients for sustainable analytics
- Understand the analytics value and the part that effective communications with data plays in delivering the “last mile” of value
- Appreciate the thought process as well as key technical and visual considerations to designing effective data visualizations
- Appreciate the thought process as well as key technical and visual considerations to assembling data visualizations into coherent and impact dashboards
- Gain exposure to various analytical and visualization techniques and tools to glean insights from the data
This workshop is targeted at professionals and managers in non-analyst roles but may be required to work with or make sense of data and presenting data in their work. This workshop is also designed for managers, professionals and staff at all levels who want to learn how to make a bigger impact with their analysis. The course is suitable for participants across all industries and job functions.
Participants are required to have basic MS Excel skills; some prior knowledge of data analytics would be helpful.
MS Excel (ver 2010 or later) is required.
1. What is Data Analytics?
- A general introduction of the concept of analytics; including the general applications and the potential of analytics to inform, explain and guide decision making
- Case studies – See how some notable organizations have successfully deployed analytics to great effect (Walmart, Target, Google etc.)
- Foundations for sustainable analytics – understand what it takes to build analytics capabilities
2. The Analytics Value Chain and role of Data Visualization and Communication
- The analytics value chain
- It takes more than just data to deliver value in analytics; it takes the right combination of hard and soft data skills; particularly the soft skills in interpreting the analytical outcomes in the right context
3. Conveying the message through Data Visualization
- Key principles in Data visualization
- Thought process in selecting the right visualization for the intended message
- Finding the right message
- The require comparison to convey the message
- Selecting the right visualization
- Hands-on exercises on MS Excel
4. Self Service Analytics using Infographics
- What is an infographic?
- Why deploy infographics?
- Class Exercise: Building interactive infographic on MS Excel Analysis
5. Self Service Analytics using Dashboards
- What is a dashboard?
- Why deploy dashboards?
- When do you deploy dashboards and how do you measure success?
- Key design requirements: Purpose, Development & Delivery
- Class Exercise: Building interactive dashboards on
Data Expert: Michael Lee
Michael Lee is an associate of FYT Consulting Pte Ltd. An IT professional by training with more than 25 years of consulting & practical experience across many functions (sales, client management, business operations & customer service) throughout various roles (Vendor, Systems Integrator, Distributor and Enduser) in both the public & private sector.
Prior to joining FYT Consulting, Michael has done consultancy and process re-engineering for several SMEs. He has also conducted numerous training sessions on Virtual Teaming for international banks and corporations. In addition, he has made many speaking engagements in Customer & Partner events, as well as in major international Sales Conferences.
Michael has managed the Asia Pacific Sales Operations for Linksys, a division of Cisco Systems. His portfolio included the day-to-day operations within the Asia Pacific. He was also running the China sales for almost a year. Prior to that, Michael led the Asia Pacific Sales Operations for Cisco System and the Business Operations for Customer Service in Asia Pacific & Japan in Cisco. In addition, he headed a global Metrics & Business Intelligence team comprising members from the Asia Pacific, Europe and the Americas. Before joining Cisco, Michael worked for Peoplesoft, AT&T GIS, SAP and National Computer Systems (SCO). Michael holds a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science & Mathematics as well as an MBA from the National University of Singapore
Data Expert: Derrick Yuen
Derrick is the co-founder and principal for FYT Consulting with extensive experience in analytics and consulting with top management consulting firms, multinational corporations and government agencies. Prior to establishing FYT Consulting, he was responsible for co-leading the formation and establishment of the People Analytics Centre of Excellence (COE) for a multinational healthcare company with US$ 30 billion in revenue. Derrick also has extensive experience in corporate strategy and process improvement having led such functions in large multinational corporates in the FMCG and aviation sectors.
Derrick is an associate trainer with the Civil Service College, PSA Academy, HR Academy and Management Development Institute of Singapore where he develops and delivers data analytics, decision-making and analytics culture programs. He also develops and delivers customized analytics workshops and programmes for many organizations across the region spanning multiple sectors and functions; including maritime, aviation, FMCG, F&B and education to name a few. Derrick holds a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from the National University of Singapore as well as an MBA from the University of Southern California.
“This workshop has a lot of case studies used which is helpful to understand the pitfalls of misinterpretation of data & usefulness of data analysis to problem solving. A good trainer, very clear in delivering concepts and very experienced. Overall this workshop is useful. Perfect & good communicator”
“Overall it met my objective of this course. A good trainer, very clear in delivering concepts and very experienced. This workshop is useful. Perfect & good communicator.”
Tripartite Alliance Limited
“Good knowledge on data analysis. Understand regression model and use it to gain insights. Overall the trainer is knowledgeable and engaging. A good trainer, very clear in delivering concepts and very experienced.”
Government Technology Agency