Introduction to Data Visualisation: Presenting Insights From Data (Live Stream)
In this data age, the ability to extract value from data is highly sought after by both individuals and organizations. While data analytics is often associated with hard skills such as database management, programming and statistics; hard skills alone are not enough. It requires the right mix of soft skills to contextualize the problem, make sense of the analysis and communicate it in a concise, coherent and compelling fashion to drive action.
This is one of a series of three one-day online workshops. Each workshop is modular in nature, addressing different aspects along the analytics value chain.
- Data Analysis – focuses on the technical aspects of mining data for objective insights
- Data Visualization – focuses on presenting data inaccessible forms to get the right message across using data visualizations
- Data Storytelling – focuses on presenting analyses and proposals in a concise, coherent, and compelling fashion to facilitate decision-making
This workshop aims to provide a broad but practical overview of the entire analytics value chain; with a specific focus on presenting data to convey the right message to an audience. Attendees will learn the fundamentals of visualisation and get their hands “dirty” building different visualizations with large data sets.
By the end of this course, the participants would be able to：
- Understand what data analytics is, and the key ingredients for sustainable analytics
- Understand the analytics value and the part that effective communications with data plays in delivering the “last mile” of value
- Appreciate the thought process as well as key technical and visual considerations to designing effective data visualizations
- Appreciate the thought process as well as key technical and visual considerations to assembling data visualizations into coherent and impact dashboards
- Gain exposure to various analytical and visualization techniques and tools to glean insights from the data
This workshop is targeted at professionals and managers in non-analyst roles but may be required to work with or make sense of data and presenting data in their work. This workshop is also designed for managers, professionals and staff at all levels who want to learn how to make a bigger impact with their analysis. The course is suitable for participants across all industries and job functions.
Participants are required to have basic MS Excel skills; some prior knowledge of data analytics would be helpful.
MS Excel (ver 2010 or later) is required.
1. What is Data Analytics?
- A general introduction of the concept of analytics; including the general applications and the potential of analytics to inform, explain and guide decision making
- Case studies – See how some notable organizations have successfully deployed analytics to great effect (Walmart, Target, Google etc.)
- Foundations for sustainable analytics – understand what it takes to build analytics capabilities
2. The Analytics Value Chain and role of Data Visualization and Communication
- The analytics value chain
- It takes more than just data to deliver value in analytics; it takes the right combination of hard and soft data skills; particularly the soft skills in interpreting the analytical outcomes in the right context
3. Conveying the message through Data Visualization
- Key principles in Data visualization
- Thought process in selecting the right visualization for the intended message
- Finding the right message
- The require comparison to convey the message
- Selecting the right visualization
- Hands-on exercises on MS Excel
4. Self Service Analytics using Infographics
- What is an infographic?
- Why deploy infographics?
- Class Exercise: Building interactive infographic on MS Excel Analysis
5. Self Service Analytics using Dashboards
- What is a dashboard?
- Why deploy dashboards?
- When do you deploy dashboards and how do you measure success?
- Key design requirements: Purpose, Development & Delivery
- Class Exercise: Building interactive dashboards on
Data Expert: Joanna Tan
A seasoned leader in Human Resource Business Partnering with more than 25 years of diverse industry, Joanna has experience with reputable multinational and local corporations such as Sage Software, Hasbro, Apple, IBM, Rockwell Automation and Wing Tai Holdings. She has proven success in managing and rolling out major organization change initiatives involving various key stakeholders especially with the sales and marketing teams in driving revenue and margin optimization using business metrics and intelligence.
Joanna currently consults and leads engagements to help FYT clients build HR analytics capabilities across many sectors and regions, including technology, government, pharmaceutical, sales & finance across the Asia Pacific Region. She also has a strong background in talent management and development, organization design, change management as well as employee engagement. Joanna holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Arts with National University of Singapore and a Graduate Diploma in Business Administration with Singapore Institute of Management. In addition, she is accredited in Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (ACTA v5).
Data Expert: Michael Lee
Michael Lee is an associate of FYT Consulting Pte Ltd. An IT professional by training with more than 25 years of consulting & practical experience across many functions (sales, client management, business operations & customer service) throughout various roles (Vendor, Systems Integrator, Distributor and Enduser) in both the public & private sector.
Prior to joining FYT Consulting, Michael has done consultancy and process re-engineering for several SMEs. He has also conducted numerous training sessions on Virtual Teaming for international banks and corporations. In addition, he has made many speaking engagements in Customer & Partner events, as well as in major international Sales Conferences.
Michael has managed the Asia Pacific Sales Operations for Linksys, a division of Cisco Systems. His portfolio included the day-to-day operations within the Asia Pacific. He was also running the China sales for almost a year. Prior to that, Michael led the Asia Pacific Sales Operations for Cisco System and the Business Operations for Customer Service in Asia Pacific & Japan in Cisco. In addition, he headed a global Metrics & Business Intelligence team comprising members from the Asia Pacific, Europe and the Americas. Before joining Cisco, Michael worked for Peoplesoft, AT&T GIS, SAP and National Computer Systems (SCO). Michael holds a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science & Mathematics as well as an MBA from the National University of Singapore
“Michael is very clear in his teaching, and is very patient! This is the first IT-related course I have attended where I did not feel like the instructor was impatient with people who may be slower in their progress.”
Nicole Hilary Teo, National Heritage Board
“Micheal is very engaging! Even though it is a zoom class, he managed to include many interactive elements and easy to follow. I enjoyed the class. I’ve learned the importance of data visualisation and how we can use it for presentation. It was a positive experience and very well-managed session.”
Shermin Tham, MINDEF
“Mr Michael Lee is very knowledgeable on the topic. The experience was beyond my expectation. I expected a lecture, but it was an interactive two way approach with hands on practise & exercises. There are many good takeaways from the session.”
Nur Zalifa Andeera Binte Fadzillah, MyLustre Pte Ltd