The Complete Skill Sets for Building & Transforming Businesses with Sun Tzu’s Art of War in a VUCAD world
In this VUCAD world of volatility, uncertainty, complexity, ambiguity and deception, we need a new mindset to enable us to pursue and sustain success while avoiding the disasters. So far such issues have been handled in a piece meal and faddish fashion. An integrated new mindset is needed. That mindset is the wisdom of the Ancient Chinese Philosophies captured in Sun Zi’s Art of War and Gui Gu Zi’s Art of Strategic Alliances and Persuasions which are proven over thousands of years and integrated with modern Western management and technology especially Industry 4.0.
Sun Tzu says winners plan first to win and fight only those wars they can win; whereas losers start a war first and then seek to win. Sun Tzu shows us how to plan with 5 factors and 7 measures, how to analyze the situation and to design the right strategy with the right leadership to win. Sun Tzu teaches us to take an outside-in approach with threats first analysis so we invert SWOT to TOWS to rightly design strategies. We do a case study using BreadTalk. We discuss how to choose a market, the market entrance strategy and the 9 stages of growth and transformation of sustaining business. Blue Ocean Strategy is taught to show how to create a new market without competition. Case studies includes the transformation of Apple and Xerox and the fall of Nokia phone business. On leadership, Sun Tzu teaches us the five attributes of leadership, the success factors and faults of organizations. Strategic leadership, transformational, leaderful and leaderless leadership are presented. We cover the building of the ideal self-directed, self-organized, self-managed organization for the VUCAD world.
Business is not just about competition. An equal and if not, more important factor is alliance or partnership. Google’s Android success is a good testimony to the importance and power of an alliance. Forming alliances is the teaching of Gui Gu Zi’s Art of Strategic Alliance and Persuasion. We cover his key teaching of Open and Close Principle to show how to find the right partners and form long term winning relationships. It covers the essential soft skills of doing business such as persuasion, negotiation, mediation and conflict resolution. It is about gaining an understanding of the door to the heart of anyone and know how to open the door to gain agreement and shutting out all others to build a committed and lasting relationship. It is about gaining the heart then the mind and finally the agreement for action.
Finally, all business requires a Performance Management Framework for monitoring progress, identifying and fixing problems, and learning and adapting the organization for sustainable growth. We present the state of art 5G Strategy driven Balanced Scorecard and OKRs used by the leading organizations of the world such as Amazon, Google, Intel, etc. This integrated framework creates the clarity, focus, alignment and engagement for the design and execution of strategies up, down and throughout the organization. It covers 4 key domains of methodology, staff, execution and transformation. The common errors of KPIs, scorecards are pointed out too.
In conclusion, we share the mindset of winners – the integration of hard and soft, east and west, multifaceted thinking and prudence leadership to manage and solve modern issues. It is about how the ordinary can achieve extra-ordinary success.
To enable any executive to start or to transform a business successfully using the integrated wisdom of Sun Zi’s Art of War with Gui Gu Zi’s Strategic Alliance & Persuasion combined the State of Art of Western management science, covering strategies, innovations, creativity, culture and industry 4.0
▪ To develop the leadership skill of an executive and to increase the organization power and health
▪ To develop a Corporate Performance Management Framework to monitor progress, and learn to adapt to changing situations using 5G Balanced Scorecard with OKRs
- Evaluate the business goals, objectives and visions
- Understanding the business trends and evaluate current environment
- Identify and implement business strategies to improve business process
- Applying Sun tzu Art of War to identify new business opportunities
- Understanding business planning and methodologies
Who Should Attend?
Anyone who wants to know how to start a business, strategize for growth, transform out of survival mode, get investment, become an effective leader, partnering with others, negotiate, and resolve conflict and build an innovative and high-performance business culture.
Other Statement of Attainment, modular certificate or equivalent n.e.c.
Mr. Lim Liat founded a BvOtech (Business value Oriented technology) to help people and businesses to be more successful through synergizing the wisdoms of East and West. The key areas include unified corporate performance management framework, innovation and business model design, creative & visual thinking systems (BVITS), learning and innovative organization, leadership skills and the future of management with Sinology – Chinese classical wisdom such as I-Ching, the philosophies of the Dao School (Lao Zi), Ru School (Confucius), Mo School, Fa School and Sun Zi’s Art of War and more. Lim consults for start-ups, SMEs, MNCs and GLCs. He has taught for and sat on the advisory boards of Institutes of Higher Learning and investment committees. He has more than 30 years of technology and management experience. A pioneer of Singapore Computer Systems in 1980, Liat contributed to the its listing on the Singapore Exchange, reaching a revenue of about $500 million operating in over 9 countries. He left as Deputy CEO in 2003 to start BvOtech. Lim was a Public Service Commission Merit and a Commonwealth Scholar. He obtained a Bachelor of Industrial and System engineering (1st Class Honours with Gold Medal) from the National University of Singapore in 1974 and a Master’s Degree in Industrial Engineering from University of Alberta, Canada, 1976. He is a joint author of five US Registered Patents in End User Query and Data Modelling.
Day 1 New Mindset for the VUCAD World
- VUCAD & Industry 4.0
- The reasons and consequence of the VUCAD world
- What is Industry 4.0 and its implications
- The needs for higher dimension mindset
- The Power of the Chinese Mindset – Past & Future Successes
- IChing – The Unchanging Wisdom for Success in an Ever-Changing World
- History and structure of I-Ching
- The Objective of I-Ching is Maximizing Fortune & Escaping Disaster.
- Harmony of Heaven, Earth & Men, Cycles, Stages, Yin-Yang Balance, Flow, Exchanges.
- The Right Way to Consult I-Ching & apply its wisdom: OODA
- Life-Cycles in Business
O Technology S-Curve and Geoffrey Moore’s Category Maturity Life Cycle O Industry Clock-speed
- Workshop: Identification of Your Business Life-Cycle Stages & The Strategic Initiatives
- Understanding Innovation, Business Value Creation & Customers’ Mindset
- Innovation is Value Creation and not just new ideas or products
O Customers don’t buy products but outcome & wow-experience O Value is determined by Customers and is Multi-Dimensional
- The 12 Principles of Innovation
- Understanding Business Model Innovations and Creating Meaningful Differentiation.
- Understanding Innovativeness & Theories of Innovation of Clay Christensen.
- Innovation Strategies of successful innovators.
- Renovating the Innovation Process from Ideation to Commercialization O Steve Blank’s Customer & Product Development
O Eric Ries’ Lean Start-up with MVP & Innovation Accounting
- Understanding Intellectual Property Rights and Your Business Weapon
- The BVITS Innovative Thinking Framework
- The framework that gives you innovative ideas on demand built from Sun Zi’s Art of War and the 36 Stratagems, and TRIZ (Theory of inventive problem solving from Russia).
- The Supportive Software Mind-mapping Tools and built-in BVITS knowledge template
- The BVITS automated Ideas Generator with AXON
- Workshop Exercises:
- The New Kind of Attractive Loans to increase your sales performance
- Capturing greater value through innovative pricing models
Day 2 Sun Zi’s Art of War for Business
- The Art of War for Designing Strategies
O The Essences of The Art of War through Pictures & Illustrations
- Building Capabilities for Competitive Advantages – 5 Factors & 7 Measures
- Knowing Others & Knowing Yourself and choose the market or change the rules of the game where your abilities become strengths and your competitors’ strengths become weaknesses or irrelevant in the eyes of your customers.
- The Art of War Formula of 1A3B5C5M for building Winning Organization and Leaders O The right way to do SWOT is TOWS according to Sun Zi
O Ride on External Multipliers
- Introducing Two Keys of Art of War – Innovation & Tendencies
- Creating Uncontested Market with Blue Ocean Strategies of Kim & Mauborgne O Terrain and Markets for Achieving Market Leadership
- Deciding Which Market to Enter with the Six Terrains to Customers
- Market Entrance Strategy
- Sustaining Growth Strategy from the Nine Terrains
- Principles for Strategies from Sun Zi’s Art of War and Chinese 36 Strategies
- Case Studies: The success of BreadTalk, Zappos, the transformation of Apple and Xerox and
- The Essence of Sun Zi’s Decision-Making Framework for Winning &“LKY on The Art of War” by George Yeo
- The Art of War on Leadership & Organization Power
- The Five Leadership Attributes and the details.
- What wisdom, trust, love, boldness and disciplines really mean.
- Defining strategic jobs, knowing the people and match them with the right jobs.
- Dynamic Leadership Model – Leadership Lessons from I-Ching
- Building Organization Power
- Six Areas of Proficiencies – Design, Talents, Attack, Defend, Innovate, Control Others
- Four Performance Levers – Morale, Heart, Strength and Adaptability
- Five Winning Keys – fight-when, use of sizes, unity, ready, no-interference
- Organizational Health Check
- The Three Negligence – attack/withdraw, tasks, assignment.
- The Five Weaknesses – reckless, fear, quick-temper, upright, compassionate
- The Six Terminal Sicknesses
- The Five Leadership Attributes and the details.
- The Ideal Organization
- Self-motivated, self-directed and self-organized to quickly adapt and ride on
changes and complexities.
Day 3 Strategic Alliances & Persuasion
- Introduction to the life and stories of Gui Gu Zi and his students Su Qin and Zhang Yi and how they wrote the history of China.
- Sun Zi Art of War vs Gui Gu Zi Strategic Alliances
- Case Study 1 Getting the Angry Empress to Forgo Her Son
- Case Study 2 Getting 10 Cities without Sending any Troop.
- Case Study 3 How did Steve Jobs get Bill Gates to invest in dying Apple?
- The Doctrine & Principles
1 捭阖 The Universal Principle of Open and Close and its application. Knowing the doorway to every heart. Deming’s System of Profound Knowledge for management excellence.
2 反应 Knowing Yourself and Others with dialogues. Johari’s Window of known and unknown to yourself and others. Having power and fierce conversation.
3 内揵 Inner Bonding – Partnering for Success. The types of partnerships and the dilemmas in Boss-Staff relationships. The Research from Google in Effective Leadership and Team Dynamics
4 抵巇 Detecting and Fixing Cracks Early or Transforming it for a new opportunity 5 飞箝 Give to Catch – Hiring Talents and Engaging them for High Performance.
6 忤合 Against or Agree – Mediation, Facilitation & Negotiation.
7 揣篇 Appraisal of Situations & Intentions. The first step to strategic planning.
- 摩篇 Probe to Discover Inner Intentions. Knowing the players in-depth – the missing step in strategic planning and the key step for strategic persuasion.
9 权篇 Power Persuasion. The “Secrets of Power Persuasion” of Roger Dawson. 10 谋篇 How to strategize and make three alternative proposals.
11 决篇 Decision Making the effective and right way.
12 符言 One More thing – 9 Keys for Management Excellence
- Application for Negotiations & Conflict Resolutions – The Principles & Template
- The 6D Strategic Alliances & Persuasion Framework and the Chinese way of influencing people.
- Workshop on Negotiation
Day 4 Corporate Performance Management (CPM) Framework
- Overview of CPM
- The Needs and the Benefits of Business Performance Framework
- The Historical Development of Balanced Scorecards
- Common pitfalls of BSC & KPI’s (Key Performance Indicators)
- The Unified Framework – Design & Execution of Strategies with Staff motivation and talents and strengths-based development.
- High-Speed Business Planning with Business Model Canvas
- Developing Your Cause-Effect Business Model as the groundwork
- Business Canvas, Lean Business Canvas, EXO Business Canvas
- Workshop Drawing the Cause-Effect Business Model
- The OKR Framework of Objective & Key Results with Strategic Initiates
- Workshop Defining Your OKRs
- The 4G Strategy Map sBSC (Balanced Scorecard) Framework
- Strategy Map, Measures & Targets, Ownership & Strategic Initiatives
- Cascading of Scorecards
- The Steps for Implementation of CPM and the pitfalls to avoid.
- Workshop Defining Your Strategy Map BSC
- The Performance Measurements Management & Review – Doing the KPIs rightly.
- Winners Mindset – ordinary people to do the extra-ordinary