Professional Certificate in Developmental Psychology (LIVE Stream)
Development incorporates change over time. We all change as we mature. Some of those changes are due to experience and others to our physiology. Developmental psychology focuses on the patterns and processes of change throughout our lifetimes. It is the scientific studies that explain growth, change and consistency though the lifespan. It looks at how thinking, feeling, and behaviour change throughout a person’s life. A also covers a deeper understanding of children’s developmental milestones and to learn relevant skills to help identify and care for the well-being of self and others.
2 Day Professional Certification in Developmental Psychology
This engaging certification aims to enhance the knowledge and skills set of professionals by offering critical insights into the art and science of developmental psychology and how it is affected by biological factors, physical, cognitive, emotional, personality and social contextual contributions to individual development. You will be encouraged to apply development psychology principles in contexts from the classroom to friends, family, workplace and the community. It will also cover the Implications of Developmental Psychology for parenting, educators, social workers and even policy makers.
Upon successful completion of this certification, you will be able to:
• Define Nature Vs Nurture
• Think critically about issues relevant to human development
• Make connections between theories in human development and actual child and adult behaviors
• Demonstrate understanding of the physical, cognitive and psychosocial changes that humans experience from birth to adulthood
• Acquire knowledge on some of the most relevant theorists in development psychology, including Piaget, Freud, Erikson, Bandura, Kohlberg and Sullivan
• Demonstrate knowledge of the basic processes of growth and physical change in each era of the lifespan, including factors that support positive growth and minimize health problems
• Evaluate up-to-date research and theories designed to explain human growth and behaviour
• Demonstrate knowledge of basic emotional development including factors that influence individual differences and support positive change
• Demonstrate knowledge of the how the individual’s interaction with society changes with age and how these changes influence the individual
• Integrate their personal experiences, knowledge of psychology, and their observations of human development
Who Should Attend?
Officers, Educators, parents, counsellors, social workers, trainers, people who work with children, teenagers and troubled adults. It is also beneficial to anyone working with children or concerned with policies around children and families. It will also be of interest to students at undergraduate and postgraduate levels across a range of professional and practitioner groups, as well as parents and policy makers.
Ph.D. (Clinical Psychology), University of Tennessee at Knoxville
Dr Lim has an over 20 years of experience under his belt as a clinical psychologist and worked internationally across US, Australia, Malaysia, and Singapore. He is a former President of the Singapore Psychological Society and the Singapore Society of Clinical Hypnosis, as well as a recipient of the Award for Outstanding Contribution to Psychology in Singapore. His research interests include community mental health as well as anxiety, depression, insomnia and recovery processes in primary care.
The course is divided into ten lessons as follows:
• Introduction – Theoretical approaches and key concepts
• Early childhood – cognitive & social development in the first 6 years
• Middle childhood – cognitive, moral & social development in the school years
• Challenges of middle childhood
• Adolescence – cognitive, moral and social development
• Challenges of adolescence
• Adulthood – cognitive and psychosocial development in early and middle adulthood
• Challenges of adulthood
• Late adulthood – cognitive and psychosocial changes in the elderly
• Challenges of late adulthood