Performance Management: Strike a Balance Between Praise and Constructive Criticism
Avoid Identity, Truth and Relationship Triggers when Giving Negative Feedback
Mention ‘appraisal’ and many employees cringe at the thought of what is to come. Many perceive it as a fault-finding mechanism that accentuates their short-comings without showing how they can improve.
Performance appraisals, if executed correctly, can become the most valuable instrument in an appraiser’s toolbox.
One way to change the negative perceptions of performance appraisal is for managers to devote enough time to planning their direct report’s future development instead of concentrating on the past.
In this one-day performance management workshop, you will learn how to raise the motivation of your direct reports and improve their performances through setting objectives; give constructive feedback and praise. This course also provides tips and techniques for managing conflict in appraisals, writing effective performance reviews quickly, easily, and effectively.
By the end of this high impact workshop, participants will be able to:
- Establish the standards of performance and behaviour required by the job
- Give feedback when performance falls short of those standards
- Develop a joint action plan to get them back on track
- Create a structure for the appraisal interview
- Demonstrate how to build rapport and relax the appraisee
- Define appraisal pitfalls
- Giving praise and criticism constructively
- Learn to pre-empt and handle difficult situations
- Understand how to complete appraisal forms clearly and objectively
- Establish ways to ensure great performance is maintained after the appraisal
This workshop is targeted for anyone who wants to work on their skills to transform performance by increasing the quality of conversations. It specifically caters for those interested in developing non-threatening and constructive conversations that can be heard and are easy to deliver.
- Presentation and discussion
- Case studies
- Role plays
- Individual exercises
- Group activities
“The workshop helped me gain insights about how the performance management strategy may look great on paper, but its success depends entirely my execution. Because I’m driving the process as an appraiser, my commitment is what makes my strategy a hit or miss. My appraisee’s buy-in and participation are crucial for me to launching a strong performance management strategy and fostering a feedback-rich culture” Hailey Tan, Marina Bay Sands
“Taking the time to deliver a highly personalized performance feedback to need isn’t always possible for time-strapped managers. I learnt the benefits of meeting weekly or bi-weekly with my direct reports to give, receive, and act on feedback.” Michelle Yeh, NAFA.
Meet the Industry Expert: Ms Sandra Daniel
Sandra Daniel has a distinguished career as a Training Facilitator which spans over 2 decades. She specializes in communication strategies and emotional intelligence to drive behavioural change in organisations. She has coached and trained clients from diverse organisations and industries namely, government services, banking, manufacturing, education, insurance, hospitality, sales as well as manufacturing and insurance.
Sandra an ACTA Certified Trainer who holds a Master of Science in Training and Human Resource Management from University of Leicester. At a professional level, she is a Licensed NLP Coach and Master Practitioner (American Board of NLP), Certified Advanced Behavioural Analyst, DISC Accredited Administrator, Certified Enneagram Coach, Certified in ETaC and ESaC, Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt, Certified Facilitator in Design Leadership and Design Thinking, a Certified SCRUM Master and LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® Certified Facilitator
She regularly contributes articles on management, communication, and learning skills to Straits Times Recruit. To date, Sandra has authored and co-authored several books namely, How to Think Critically with Sun Tzu Art of War Stratagems, Impactful Academic Writing, Extremely Busy People’s Guide to Read Faster and Memorize Better and Think Clearer.
MODULE ONE: The Difference between Performance Appraisal and Management
- Integrating the two systems
- Identifying the gap from current situation to desired state
MODULE TWO: How to Recognise and Avoid Bias
- Prevent Rating Errors
- Write effective Summaries
- Keep performance reviews constructive
MODULE THREE: Assessing Individual Evaluation Methods
- Three categories of performance appraisal methods
- Benefits and pitfalls of self-evaluation methods
- Writing self-assessments
- How to get regular informal 360-degree feedback
MODULE FOUR: Conducting a Sensitive Performance Appraisal Conversation
- How to give negative feedback
- Recognise relationship, identity, and truth triggers
- Giving timely feedback
- The impact of overemphasizing recent performances
- Focusing on description vs judgement
- The power of observation over inference
- How to avoid feedback overload
MODULE FIVE: Performance Coaching and Feedback Models
- Feedback performance models
- Sandwich Model
- Pendleton Model
- Situation-Behaviour-Impact Model
- Neurological Levels Coaching Questions